Rechroming

To: "'MG submission'" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Rechroming
From: "Cordell, Ralph PhD" <rzc4@cdc.gov>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 10:08:05 -0400
I'd suggest you take it to one or two local places & get quotes - then
check out the prices in a few catalogs.  If you can't find any local
shops - get a copy of Hemmings and look up chrome plating under the
Services section.  You may be able to get a guesstimate over the phone
though most places will want you to ship it to them in order to get a
final quote.  If price is the sole factor - it may well be cheaper to
buy a new one.  I spent $560 to have the window frame on my '59 MGA
rechromed.  They did a magnificient job and it practically glows in the
dark.  I had it chromed because a few of the parts were not listed in
the Moss catalog and the others were almost as much as the plating.
Other parts (the pot metal grab handles, defroster vent covers, etc)
were much cheaper to buy new (like half to a third the cost of plating).
I suppose someone could tell the difference in the two jobs if they
really got down & examined it closely.  I've not tried and it certainly
is not obvious.  I was considering having my bumpers plated but found
they were reproductions.  Rather than pay $$$ to have old repros
rechromed - I bought new ones.  If you have it chromed it will have to
be completely disassembled.  The cost will also depend on the material -
pot metal is very expensive to have rechromed due to cost of filling in
all the pits.

ralph cordell
rzc4@cdc.gov
'59 MGA