Re: Bear Spacers again

To: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
Subject: Re: Bear Spacers again
From: john peloquin <peloquin@galaxy.ucr.edu>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 08:20:04 -0700 (PDT)
Dear Robert,

"Never Ascribe to Malice that which can be explained by Ignorance."
John J. Peloquin
Entomology, University of California, Riverside, CA 92521

Stuff I wrote deleted:>
> > broke the little tongue in the washer off! Without the spacer to keep the
> > bearings apart etc, I can't get the castellated nut torque right. Dang!
>
> Well, you seem to have a good reason to get that spacer. I'm running the
>spacer
> but no shims so don't have any experience without it. I see that dang spacer
>being
> a $25 part.

The british car gods have smiled in this case. The spacer is 12.95 each.
Not too bad, but I still wonder what the guy that did the bearings on my
car thought when he didn't re-install the spacer!

> Ouch in pairs! I am a little curious how the car was doing without
> them as the DPO left them out. What kind of wear did you find on the bearings?
> Were they dry when they came out?

No- but the cage holding the rollers was distorted and possibly cracked
where I couldn't see it. Additionally, the outer race on the inner bearing
was blued.

> How did you spec the replacement bearings? Cross
> reference the existing ones or just order by a reputable joint?

Hmmm, good point- however, the outer bearing races were an EXACT as was
the inner race.

 I find it odd that
> you could get enough compression to snap the little teat of the washer
>retainer.
> Is there play in the new bearings?

I'm not sure what you mean? How would I know unless I test installed them?

>Are you test fitting the bearings dry?

Not quite dry, I used some WD-40 for the test fittings.

> You pretty much have to when messing with the shims.
>
> Ain't these old cars fun!
Indeed they are. As long as I've got the right parts and the right tools,
I'm in hog heaven. However, having the right stuff isn't the default mode
:(