Re: 5 speed vs. OD conversion

To: Rick Morrison <gofastmg@juno.com>, mup1dm@surrey.ac.uk
Subject: Re: 5 speed vs. OD conversion
From: Jim Carlile <j_carlile@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 5 May 1998 19:35:19 -0700 (PDT)
---Rick Morrison <gofastmg@juno.com> wrote:

> On Tue, 5 May 98 09:50:03 +0100 Douglas McKinnie <mup1dm@surrey.ac.uk>
> writes:
> SNIP
>
> >If I remember the comments from the John Twist tech pages
> >correctly, the overdrive is a placebo on the MGB. It does
> >no harm to run the engine that fast, and there are no gains
> >in either economy or performance...
---------------------------------
I agree--at today's higher speeds.

When new, my  non O/D 74 B tached 3500 @ 60mph. After awhile it
settled down to 32. Gas mileage was about 32mpg at same speed, 22 or
so street. I had the chance to buy O/D new, but it was $600 more and
dealer mechanic said don't bother. I think he was right-- I saw plenty
fall apart there at 60k miles, canceling out savings

At 55mph the OD might make a noise difference compared to non OD. But
no one drives that slow any more. 3200rpm and up is still loud, O/D or
not. In my experience it's only good for moderate freeway speeds-- and
who wants to drive there now?

Jim
'74B