Re: Nostalgic Design

To: Phil Bates <jello@ida.net>
Subject: Re: Nostalgic Design
From: Jim Carlile <j_carlile@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 18:21:15 -0700 (PDT)
---Phil Bates <jello@ida.net> wrote:
 How many Miata owners do you know (or talk
> to).  Most of them seem to have a great admiration for the MGs and
Triumphs
> of the world... I rarely see people with miatas say "that
> thing is a dinosaur," or "Mazda came out and made a real sportscar."

------------------
It's not the Miata owners that bother me-- although I've known some
who parrot the 'British Cars were crap' stereotype. No, it was the
auto press that pissed me off when the Miata came out, always
repeating those same stale chestnuts about "Lucas" and "oil leaks". I
don't hate the Miata or their owners, I just hate all the lies about
British cars being inferior in worksmanship, especially when they were
new.  I also find the '"driveability" of the Miata to be strange-- and
overrated, no matter how fast it can corner.

In thirty years lets see how many Miatas are on the road. I don't see
many now. And I'm hardly a snob-- my favorite car is a 73 V6 Capri!

Jim
'74B