Re: Weber carbs and aftermarket fuel pumps

To: RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu>, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Weber carbs and aftermarket fuel pumps
From: Jim Carlile <j_carlile@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 7 May 1998 17:26:53 -0700 (PDT)

---RAY WYGONIK <RWYGONIK@grove.iup.edu> wrote:

> I have a new weber DGV carb and a new aftermarket fuel pump (the
little solid
> state square job) on my 74 B.  The pump comes on when I turn the key
on
> (without starting the car) but then never shuts off.  There has to be
> hundreds/thousands of similar setups out there.  Is this normal?
> Does the solid state pump just keep on pumping?
--------------------------
Yes-- and it's a real real drag-- meaning like, totally unacceptable.

A few years ago I thought I'd be different and replace my SU with one
of those solid gold things. I was being cheap. I couldn't believe the
noise. It runs continuously-- no tick tick tick. That's the way it
works. I had my mechanic tear it off in five minutes. I know the panic
you must feel.

A good SU replacement is one of those old fashioned AC cylindrical
pumps with the base-- they last forever. If you're interested, I'll
try to find the number-- it's a classic SU replacement, though getting
harder to find. Don't use the substitute newer cylindrical-only pump
with holder that AC lists as a replacement--use the one with the
square base that bolts-on. It ticks beautifully-- I think it's the AC
#1. I had to special order it at a domestic parts shop.

Jim
74B