Re: slow turn signals

To: paul.hunt1@virgin.net
Subject: Re: slow turn signals
From: DANMAS <DANMAS@aol.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 1998 18:41:01 EDT
In a message dated 98-05-18 15:49:04 EDT, paul.hunt1@virgin.net writes:

> Beg to differ - in the UK at least.  My recollection is that the early
> flashing
>  indicators were also OFF ON OFF ON, I remember thinking what a giant leap
> forward
>  it was when they became the other way round.

Paul,

Could be.  Depends on how early you are talking about.  My knowledge begins in
the 60s, and is pretty much limited to American cars and British cars sold in
America.  In both my '74 MGB and my '71 TR6, the flashers work as I described
them, and they both have the original Lucas brand flashers.  I haven't seen a
separate listing for US and GB parts in any of the catalogs I have

It's immaterial anyway.  As I said, that was not a design goal, it just worked
out that way when the safety design goals were met.

Are you sure someone didn't replace the turn signal flasher with a hazard
flasher?  That's a quick and dirty way to cure sluggish turn signals.

I agree that the current turn signal flasher is a breakthrough design -- not
because of the flashing sequence but because of the warning you get if a bulb
is out.  If it weren't for that, probably 90 % of the old cars on the road
today would be without turn signals, because the average motorist would never
bother to check for burnt out bulbs.  When the turn signals fail to work, at
least most folks will take the car to a shop to have them fixed.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74