Re: fluctuating oil pressure

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: fluctuating oil pressure
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 12:59:10 -0700 (PDT) (19:59 UT)
>>Yesterday I notices that the oil pressure gauge would fluctuate quickly at
 >times, I generally noticed it at idle. Anything to worry about? Is it a
 >symptom of something else?

 It's definately something to look into right away.  If your pressure is low
<or the oil's not circulating well, you're asking for major engine damage.

 Well, as an opposing viewpoint: it may be nothing at all.  Tintin has
always had that symptom.  When Idling at low RPM, the oil pressure needle
tends the fluctuate.  As long as it smooths out at soon as the RPMs go
up, I think you have nothing to worry about.  Just remember that the
pressure should be between 60 and 80 lbs at speed.  It can drop to 20-40
at idle.  Currently, with the upgraded pressure relief valve, Tintin
holds steady at 80lbs at speed, and about 60 at idle.  Before I replaced
the oil pump and valve, it was 70 and 40.  Still very normal.

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*                                        | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: Philippe.Tusler@Unisys.Com    |  N/A       '88 ISUZU Trooper*