Re: MGA Directional Signal Switch

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>,
Subject: Re: MGA Directional Signal Switch
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 1998 13:09:01 -0700 (PDT) (20:09 UT)
>     I hope there is someone on the list who help me with this one.  I have
      a '58 MGA [1500] and I finally got the directional signals to function
      electrically the other night.  Now I need to address the switch delay
      feature, problem is, in order for the signals to work I have to hold
      the switch in the 'on' positions.  The shop manual indicates the delay
      can be adjusted by turning a small screw in the back but in my case
      this has no effect.  My question is can this be repaired and if so
      what is the procedure.  I am reluctant to open it up until I can get
      an idea of what's involved. Yes, I know Moss sells a replacement
      switch but it's about $175. and this car needs a lot of other work
<     where the money would be better spent.  Any advise welcome.

  Been there, done that!!  You should go ahead and open it up, 'cause
it's FUN!  It works by forcing a spring-loaded piston back, and the little
screw adjusts the amount of air the piston forces back out, limiting the
return speed.  The piston seal is leather!  It dries out and loses its
seal, so you have to oil it.  You could just remove the bleed screw and
squirt some 3-in-one or other light oil into it.  Otherwise, just take
it apart and get a look at the retro-technology!  Mine still works great
after I oiled it up seven years ago.  Good luck and have fun!

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*                                        | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: Philippe.Tusler@Unisys.Com    |  N/A       '88 ISUZU Trooper*