Re: Ultimate DPO no mg content

To: pbailey@qnet.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Ultimate DPO no mg content
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 10 Jun 1998 10:53:45 EDT
In a message dated 98-06-10 00:12:30 EDT, pbailey@qnet.com writes:

> Well I saw the ultimate DPO today.he has a '57 Caddy and he wants to put
>  a '76 500 ci engine in it so guess what he is doing?....He cut the frame
>  off the car from the firewall foward and he is going to weld the
>  frame,engine whole works from the '76.What a waste he will wind up with
>  an almost worthless abortion

Pat,

Not necessarily.  This is a very common operation in the street rod
fraternity.  If it is done correctly, it is a very viable option.  There are
literaly hundreds, if not thousands, of late thirties to late fourties street
rods running around today with a front clip from a modern car.  Every couple
of months or so, at least one of the street rodding magazines has a how-to
article on performing this swap.

Only slightly related, but of interest anyway (at least to me) is the common
frame swap for '49 to '51 Mercurys.  Oddly enough, the frame from some of the
late model GM cars is almost a "bolt-in" fit to these cars.  Just lift off the
body, roll out the old frame, roll in the new, and you have an old car with a
complete modern engine, chassis, drive train, brakes, etc.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN

'68 MGBGT---organ donor for the '74