Re: Adjusting Valves Midget 1500

To: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Subject: Re: Adjusting Valves Midget 1500
From: Jason Sawyer <jason.sawyer@ibm.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Jun 1998 22:46:23 -0700

Paul Hunt wrote:

> Jason Sawyer wrote:
> >
> > Why 3rd? I use reverse, that way when I push the car backwards, the engine
>spins
> > the proper way. Is it easier to move in 3rd? Seems like it would be harder,
>but
> > maybe I'm just an idiot. (You out there, J.B.?)
> >
> > Jason
>
> Hi Jason, no offence but you *are* an idiot.  When you are driving in reverse
>(or
> first) think how many times the engine revolves for a given distance covered
> compared to 3rd.  Now imagine pushing the car the same distance in each gear.
> You
> have to rotate the engine many more times in reverse than in third, therefore
> reverse must be harder.
>
> Cheers,
> PaulH.

  Well then, why not use 4th? Sure, the engine moves more (higher RPMs) in 1st
as
opposed to 3rd, but isn't it doing less work (in 1st)? Sure it might be faster
to get
the engine to the next valve in a higher gear, but is it really easier? If I
push my
car two feet in 1st, and the engine turns over once (just an example) then I'm
using X
amount of force. Now, if I push my car two feet in 3rd and the engine turns
over five
times (again with the example) then isn't it true that I'm using 5X force?

Jason