Re: Something's missing

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Re: Something's missing
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1998 15:27:17 -0700 (PDT) (22:27 UT)
>Some weeks back I wrote of a small skip in the engine bewteen 2500 and 3000
 rpm.  It has now developed into a LARGE skip and it happens at just about
 any rpm. I've checked and re-gapped the points, reset the timing (several
 times), new dist. cap, new plug wires, new plugs, new rotor, new points,
 new condenser, etc.  It does not seem to be coming from one particular
 cylinder.  Idle rpm's are not constant....it speeds slowly up, then down.
 I've cleaned the carbs. and float bowls.  The carbs seems to be balanced.
 The timing seems to jump a bit (about 5 degrees).  While not in gear, it
 will rev well past 4000 rpm with just a slight skip.  Under strain (in
 gear) it coughs and sputters something fierce.  I'm about to give up and
< take it to a mechanic (one in town that specializes in LBC's).

 I'm betting on a vacuum leak.  Any takers?  This could be a leak
in the power-brake booster diaphragm, vacuum line, etc.  Or, it could be
the intake manifold gaskets.  I had one slowly deform into the manifold
until it began to leak.  You can try spraying carburettor cleaner around
the manifold and carburettors to see if the engine slows.  Try disconnecting
and plugging the vacuum lines.
 Other possibility is crap in the carburettor float bowls, or a clogged
fuel filter.  It sounds like it could be fuel starvation.

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*                                        | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: Philippe.Tusler@Unisys.Com    |  N/A       '88 ISUZU Trooper*