Re: More Ignition Qs

To: Rich_and_Kerry@compuserve.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: More Ignition Qs
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Wed, 24 Jun 1998 01:33:25 EDT
In a message dated 98-06-23 23:34:12 EDT, Rich_and_Kerry@compuserve.com
writes:

> Ok, So my '77 B won't turn of when the key is switched off - No problem;
>  I'll just keep driving it : - )   Thanks for all responses to my question -
>  I'm betting on the alternator having a malfunction of some kind, so I'll
>  swap it with a spare and see what that does.

Rich,

I missed your original question on this, so if I'm off base, forgive me. There
is no failure mode in the alternator that would cause your car to continue
running after you turn off the key; However, if the alternator warning light
(or socket) is shorted, the engine will indeed continue to run. For more on
the function of the alternator, and how it ties in with the ignition switch,
see

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/alternator-overview.html

If the warning light shorts, the alternator will back-feed voltage to the
ignition switch through the shorted bulb, powering all the loads that normally
recieve their power from the ignition switch.

>  Next question . . . while troubleshooting the ignition system, I've
>  discovered that my original 45DE dizzy's guts have been surgically removed
>  and in their place, someone has installed a "Luminition" electronic
>  ignition system.  It seems to work well, so i'm ok with that, but the
>  question this has raised is:  do I still need to run the power supply for
>  the coil through the resistive wire or can I run 12 volts directly to the
>  coil?  It sees 12 volts during cranking, so why not always (shortened coil
>  life?  overheated wiring? offending the prince?).  Any info you all can
>  supply about the 'luminition' system and it's proper installation would be
>  appreciated.

For more info on this, see:

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/ballast.html

There is no information on the Lumitron, but there is a discussion on the
ballast resister.

Hope this helps.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN