RE: Front shocks 61 MG Midget

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Front shocks 61 MG Midget
From: Philip Hubbard <phubbard@carroll.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Jul 1998 20:47:45 -0400
At 08:32 AM 7/21/98 -0500, you wrote:
>Joe Dubovec <jdubovec@vaxxine.com> asks
>
>        Front shocks for a 61 mg midget are they rebuildable?
>
>Yes,  just like the lever shocks on all the later Midgets
>
>        If they are can one buy a kit to rebuild it?
>
> I don't think so, the generally accepted practice is to send them out to
one of the rebuilders, usually Apple Hydraulics, and they will rebuild them
for you. The catalog suppliers will sell you a rebuilt pair, exchange, if
you're the impatient type. I have heard a few people on this list
commenting that their rebuilds aren't lasting very long so new may be the
way to go.

>Phil Vanner
>Mk1 Midget (#2395)

I once asked my ace mechanic, Rob Medynski of W. Milford, NJ, about this
and he said, new, new, new.  He said he had to go through about 6 rebuilt
shocks one day to get one useable one.  But then again, I'm sure people
have rebuilt their shocks and it has worked.  It's just that I have a lot
of confidence in Rob and it's one important (among others) opinion to
consider.

Philip
Burgundy 1974 Midget