Beheading a 76 B

Subject: Beheading a 76 B
From: "Tyson Sherman" <tsherman@tecinfo.com>
Date: Sun, 2 Aug 1998 21:26:00 -0500
I took the head off of my B tonight after finding out that #2 cylinder
wasn't working.  I only ordered rocker studs to replace the two bad ones,
but the two good ones also stripped now :(  So it will be atleast until
Tuesday before I can put it back together.

About the valves.  I'm assuming that #2 wasn't working because the rocker
assembly wasn't fully tightened.  If I place a straighedge across all the
(closed) valve stems with the rocker assembly removed (head off of car),
#2,3,6,7 valves are taller.  I'm not sure if those are intake or exhaust,
but I think they're the smaller ones.  Also #1 valve was white.  And
cylinders #1 & 4 were black while #2 and 3 were still shiny.

Should the different height valves bother me?
I'm moving back to school in two weeks; mom says if I don't take the car
with me it's gone.  It's been immobile in her garage for two months!!!

Tyson Sherman
<http://www.tecinfo.com/~tsherman/>