Re: Barney's Top Site

To: "Cordell, Ralph PhD" <rzc4@cdc.gov>,
Subject: Re: Barney's Top Site
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Aug 1998 18:32:48
At 09:53 AM 8/21/98 -0400, Cordell, Ralph PhD wrote:
>.... I decided to install the ragtop on my '59 MGA myself rather than pay
$150 or so to have someone else do it. .... and am really satisfied with
the appearance. .... I made two modifications to Barney's procedure as a
result of what I found when I removed the old top. Now I don't know that
this was the original top but it had been on the car since before 1968.

>First - I rubber cemented strips of foam rubber weather-stripping to the
bottom of the front bow before wrapping it with fabric.  I also added
strips to the tops of the first two metal bows where they rub against the
top.  The old set-up had this.  I can see that the foam on the metal bows
may have provided a bit of protection to the fabric.  I notice that Clarke
Spares offers a foam piece for the wood bow.  I used 3/4" wide and 3/8" thick

Installing the center latch makes a BIG difference in the size if the
finished gap.  And getting the front flap tight at the top of the
windscreen is key to keeping the wind and water out, especially at high
speed.  With the center latch, the gap front is really small, no more than
1/16" at any point.  I have seen a piece of garage door weather strip used
here.  It looks like a piece of appulstery piping with a round bead on the
edge, but the bead is soft closed cell foam rubber, maybe 3/16" diameter.
You just staple this piece under the top bow after the installation is
complete, so it can easily be added to anyone's car.  The rubber bead is
narrow and soft, so it conforms nicely to fill the gap.  Without the center
latch, airflow over the top at speed can pull the center bow up 1/4" or
more, so the weather strip alone may not do the job.

>Second, I ran two strips of 2" nylon webbing from the front (wood) bow
back to the last metal bow (just before the window).  My original set-up
had these made from the same material as the top but I did not have enough
excess to do this and settled for nylon webbing.  I believe the idea here
is that the webbing will pull the bow in place rather than put pressure on
those two little screws (and tear the fabric).  I tacked the front part in
place after I covered the bow and before I stapled the top down.  I've not
attached the rear yet but will loop it aroung, probably either staple or
sew it together and then run the screws through the material.

I've seen these web straps on other cars, although I can't recall seeing
them on an MGA.  I get the impression that they may have been original on
the early 1500's to hold the rear bow in position in the absence of the two
top screws.  I put the two screws through the thickest part of the sewn
seam and have never had the slightest hint of any tearing, and I don't have
the gentlest touch when it comes to handling the top.

Say Ralph?  Do you mind if I attach this note of yours to my web site with
your name on it?  It looks like a nice addendum to the finishing notes.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attutide