SU intake leak

To: "'barneymg@ntsource.com'" <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Subject: SU intake leak
From: Dan Pockrus <dpockrus@efficient.com>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 09:24:32 -0500
        Barney's comment about my intake leak being something on the
order of the tip of a finger-size hole was very close - it turned out to
be the size of a quarter, for the rear plug had blown out of the
manifold. In a somewhat remarkable circumstance, it happened to land on
a ridge inside the engine compartment - I found it when retrieving a
dropped washer. Hammered it back in, reinstalled SU's.
        Had to choke it to get it started - still massive stumbling
anywhere below 1500rpm. You can hold the throttle at about 1000rpm and
it sounds like it's only running on two or three cylinders. Then at some
point, you can hear an audible "click", and the rpms zoom up to the
2500-3000 range and fall back just as quickly.
        I'm still not convinced that the intake leaks are completely
gone (insert Nory's tagline here), and this "click" (sounds like a relay
closing) has me completely baffled. Any more clues?

Dan Pockrus
Systems Integration Engineer
Efficient Networks, Inc.
dpockrus@efficient.com