It's the tail lights... Doh!

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: It's the tail lights... Doh!
From: "Scott McKorkle" <bmc@aa.net>
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 1998 16:10:28 -0700
Amazing how we continually embarrass ourselves in public.  I took my 78B in
for new paint a couple weeks ago.  Stripped off everything that would move
(and a few things that wouldn't).  The only items I left on were the tail
lights.  I removed those at the paint shop (I'll bet some of you see where
this is going...)  They drove it into the garage and drove it back out to
the parking lot after about a week indoors.  When I picked it up today, it
was resplendent in its new Brooklands Green paint.  However, we noticed
that a tire was going flat.  No problem, they say, just drive it up to our
compressor and we'll fill it with air.

I jumped in, turned the key... nothing happened!  I went through all the
checklist items, finally figured out it wasn't getting any gas.  Brilliant
me, I figured the gas gauge went south and drove to the station for a
couple gallons.  Still nothing.  Just about ready to go buy a fuel pump
when it hit me.  Tail lights!  I replaced them and it started immediately.

Can someone tell me why??  It isn't a ground situation--I made sure to
reconnect the ground wires after removing the the rear license plate
bracket (where they are fastened).  Obviously, the fuel pump needs the
electrical connections in the tail lights to complete the circuit.  But
only the tail lights--every other exterior light on the car has been
removed.  Could it somehow be tied to the fact that there isn't a ground
wire on the tail light assembly??

Please note that all is running well now.  I'm just curious.

Thanks!
Scott McKorkle
1978 MGB