Alternator Troubles...wrestling with Lucas

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Alternator Troubles...wrestling with Lucas
From: Speedo79@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Sep 1998 23:07:00 EDT
Well, I have been having my own set of alternator/battery problems...Last
week, while driving home in my '77 'B, my lights went dim, my gauges went
flat, and my engine died...I coasted to a stop, and considered my
possibilities...wrestle with Lucas at 3 o'clock in the morning, call a tow
truck, or call dad...stupid, expensive, and scary...I chose scary, and after
the "you're where?!?" I convinced (read pleaded) dad to drive out and give me
a jump-start. After a half hour of contemplating life, and Lucas, dad showed
up, and gave me a jump...The 'B fired right up, and I made it home...
The next day, it started right up, I drove it around, and had to push start it
after running some erands...I took it home, and put a charger on it...it ran
fine the next few days...then dead battery again...I have since replaced the
battery, and the voltage regulator and brushes in the alternator, after that,
the ignition light came on, and stayed on for a few minutes (never even seen
the ig light before, figured it was burnt out)...I have checked the voltage of
the battery alone, about 12.7 volts, and the output of the alternator, about
12.8V, and it slowly rises when the RPM's are held at 3000 to about 13.5V or
so.  In one of the manuals, it says to disconect a wire from the starter
silenoid, and check the amps...says it should be about 42A...my multimeter can
only handle 20A safely...
my question, what should the alternator be putting out at idle, and at speed,
when checked at the batterey terminals?
Thanks for your help,
Sincerely,
Steve Sanchez