Re: MG's on the green in NC (was: Re: MG 1100s and 1300s)

To: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: MG's on the green in NC (was: Re: MG 1100s and 1300s)
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 9 Sep 1998 10:24:23 -0700
Word on the street is that Mike Lishego said:
>     But one question:  When my car warms up, the oil pressure is pretty
> low - maybe 20 or so.  There's no knocking or burning of the oil, but it
> needs changed desperately.  What are the chances of me hosing the engine
> within the next couple thousand miles?  Will an oil change give me better
> readings?  FWIW, the car is a '74 'B with about 71,000 on the clock and no
> major engine work to date.  Any experiences will be appreciated!

An oil change will up your pressure a bit.  Is that 20 p.s.i. at idle or at
speed?  Gosh I hope its at idle.  If it is, its not THAT bad. I think the
general guide is 10 p.s.i. per 1000 r.p.m. as an absolute minimum.  Do you
have an oil cooler?  I just installed one last weekend and my oil pressure
went up 50% to ~ 30 p.s.i. when the car is hot!

Change the oil, it will take 15 minutes. 20w50. If your spin-on oil filter
sits right-side up (as opposed to inverted or hanging), get a filter with an
anti-drainback valve.  Change your oil every 3000 mi and your car will
love you.

Skye

--
1966 MGB               GHN3L-70307                __,__\__     "The Bomber"
The MGB Experience     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)     zoooom!