MGB sheet metal

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGB sheet metal
From: Casey Clark <casey_clark@mindspring.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Sep 1998 13:47:55 -0400
Dear fellow MG enthusiasts,

Last May my wife and I bought a 79 MGB for a wedding present to each
other.  We absolutely love driving it and have had a great time this
summer with it.  Now that winter is coming around, I am starting to
think about getting the body repaired.  Yes, I know, it is better to buy
an MG that is sound body-wise and repair the engine if necessary but we
really wanted to drive the car and we also got a good price for it.
Mechanically and interiorly (is that a word? :-), the car is tip top.
But alas, the rockers (inner, outer, and bottom), and the inner sills
are shot.  The floor is in great shape as are the fenders.

Anyway, back to the question...

Does anyone have any opinions about the sheet metal offered by any of
the mail order companies (i.e Moss, Victoria British, Motorhead, The
Proper MG, Special Interest Carparts, etc)? I plan on ordering all of
the metal myself and have retired friend of the family do the work (with
my help.) Does any one company offer vastly superior metal or is all of
the metal offered simialr in quality?  The only reason I am asking is I
don't want to get stuck with some cheap-a**, thin metal that will rust
quickly or fit incorrectly.  Any comments would be welcome on the
subject as I am sure that many people here have lovingly replaced the
sheet metal in their cars.

Thanks,

Casey Clark
Lexington, KY

p.s. any other Lexingtonians out there?  Wanna talk MG?  email me...