Re: Can there ever be an MG again?

To: "Feldman, Jack (Jack)" <jack@lucent.com>
Subject: Re: Can there ever be an MG again?
From: cgmoog@ibm.net
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 18:37:40 -0400
Feldman, Jack (Jack) wrote:

> Can there be a Healey without Donald and Geoff? Can there be an MG without
> the crew that sweated and bled for the cars?

Yes there can.

Cars are collective efforts and collective designs.  While the Healeys
were more dependent on one man than most, I'm sure modern one can be
made.  As to if BMW is upto the job only time will tell.

While we may knock Miatas I believe they are fairly accurate
representations (if a little sterile) of modern MGs (other than some of
the fancier special editions).  Based on economy car mechanicals (at
least the engine) in a small convertible body.  While their prices seem
somewhat high all is relative.  Road & Track tested a B in June of 1976,
it listed for $4,995.  In April 1977 my father purchased a full size
Ford Club Wagon (seating for 8) for the princely sum of $5,300.  So a
$25,000 Miata may not be out of line.

A similar debate is going on the Brit-Iron list over if the new Triumphs
are real british bikes.  Everyone has an opinion.

Who knows for sure what direction MG or Healey would have taken if they
stayed around.  The new is usually bad-mouthed as a cheap imitation of
the original (remember TFs were derided when introduced).  Is an MGB a
real MG without a separate frame?  Likewise is a car with roll-up
windows are real roadster?