Re: Daweoo - a ship buyers guide

To: bruset@home.com
Subject: Re: Daweoo - a ship buyers guide
From: miker15@juno.com
Date: Mon, 14 Sep 1998 22:20:35 EDT
On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 15:13:33 -0400 Ben Ruset <bruset@home.com> writes:
>I'm not one who usually likes Korean design, but while browsing their
>site
>today, I came across a prototype car - a Daewoo "Joyster"
>
>http://www.dm.co.kr/english/showroom/joyster.htm
>
>Dunno how much I trust Daewoo - I had one of their VCRs once and it
>only lasted 5 years. They also make trucks and ships.
>

>BEN RUSET

Actually, they make reasonably passable ships - for usd23 million you can
have a shiny new 73,000 ton bulk carrier, 738 feet long, 106 feet wide
and about 145 feet high with delivery late 99 or early 2000 - Youll get a
11,000 HP Sulzer engine which is about 45 feet high and a prop shaft that
has no UJs but costs usd300,000 on its own!
The Japanese equivalent, Hitachi is usd27 mill and you cant get one until
end 2000

If you think these are expensive, bear in mind that 3 years ago the same
ships cost 32 million - so much for the Asian economy!

A word of warning though - just like cars, avoid anything built by
Hyundai - too much high tensile steel, the things crack like eggshells
and they use German engines (M.A.N.s) which really suck!!!

hehe

mike robson
69 roadster
70 BGT
53 Riley
Several ships - all rented - but like the cars the ones built in the 70s
are more fun!!