Re: FWD vs RWD

To: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Subject: Re: FWD vs RWD
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 10:53:51 -0700
Trevor,

Or course you had to leave out my disclaimer in this quote.  Comparing a
Mini to anything is apples and oranges.  A Mini is a wonderful car to drive,
I've driven one in competition.  Just because a Mini can do amazing
things doesn't mean that a Honda (or whatever FWD flavor you like) is the
best road racing car.

I don't think a sound engineering judgement of "what wins races" can be
made by comparing a Mini to a big jag.  Small is good in the world of
racing (when you're talking about going around corners).  In a corner
the question of inertia is on the side of something like a Mini, FWD
or not. Why don't you dig through those old archives and
look for the sports racers based on the Mini.  The were mid-engine (well
sort of mid-engine), rear wheel drive.  I wonder why.

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/