Re: piston rings

To: "Nina Barton" <ninab@scoresheet.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: piston rings
From: "Mike Hartwig" <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 1998 13:04:43 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Allen <boballen@sky.net>
To: Nina Barton <ninab@scoresheet.com>; mgs@autox.team.net
<mgs@autox.team.net>
Date: Tuesday, September 22, 1998 12:01 PM

>From: Nina Barton <ninab@scoresheet.com>
>

>>Hi Everyone,
>>        I have a 1971 MGBGT, but am rebuilding an earlier engine to
put in
>>it.  The pistons are almost brand new, and have no signs of wear or
scoring
>>on them.  Would it be advisable to replace the piston rings, even if
the
>>ones I have look perfect?  Since much of the rest of the engine has
been
>>redone, I'd hate to skimp and have potential problems down the road.
Any
>>advice?  Thanks,  Nina

>The "right way" is the first overbore, new pistons, and new rings. Of
>course, asking a mechanic on what to do is akin to asking a barber if
you
>need a haircut.

Much of what Bob said is correct.  However, I'm not so sure new
pistons are the absolute way the go.  Old pistons can be reused.  One
way, Nina, of checking your rings is to check to make sure the end
gaps match the bore ( you know, put the naked ring in the bore and
measure gap between the ends). This would tell you if they are at
least, within spec.

Make darn sure you make sure there is no ridge in the cylinder bores.
Not eliminating them could be disastrous.

If you want to be cautious, just replace the rings.  They are cheap.

Jay