Re: Fw: MGB fluid capacities & Bearing questions

To: Mike Lishego <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Subject: Re: Fw: MGB fluid capacities & Bearing questions
From: Paul Hunt <paul.hunt1@virgin.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Sep 1998 19:52:07 +0000
Mike Lishego wrote:

>     Since only one person responded to my fluids question, I went out to the
> auto parts store today to find some oil for the rear end.  I came across two
> possibilities, neither of which did I expect.  The first was 80w 90 oil, the
> second was 85w 140.  I didn't see any straight 90w oil, and as I didn't get
> any information about the various oil types on the market, I went ahead and
> bought the 80w 90 stuff.  Is this good for the tube-type rear end fitted to
> a '74 MGB?  If not, can I use it in my original Armstrong lever arm shocks?
> Many thanks...
> Michael S. Lishego
> http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/

Mike - workshop manual recommends 90 or 90/140 for temps above -10C, 80
for temps below that.  Both are much too thick for shocks, use hydraulic
jack oil, or fork oil.  Workshop manual states "Armstrong Super (Thin)
Shock Absorber Fluid No. 624) or any good-quality mineral oil to SAE
20W, but this alternative is not suitable for low-temperature
operation"  Presumably below -10C.

Cheers,
PaulH.