Re: reliability

To: Highlndr@aol.com
Subject: Re: reliability
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 1998 01:01:17 -0400
Highlndr@aol.com wrote:

> Come on guys---lets get real here! If MGBs were the reliability panacea that
> seems to to be the majority opinion in here---they would still be selling them
> here in the US.

  MGs are more realiable on two conditions:

1. You do all the scheduled maintenance religously.

2. You deceive yourself by forgetting the repairs you do
and anything you fix, and also hit yourself on the head
with a fish bonker so you forget any time you spend
repairing anything.

  It's a double standard, and I am guilty of it
myself. I'll spend every weekend in the garage noodling
on my MGs as my Toyota sits outside.

  I'll strip down components regularily to find that
"funny sound" or that fluid loss.

  When it breaks down, I'll spend days ordering parts
and getting them all back together amd smile as a
I turn the key and it burbles to life again.

  ...but if the Toyota so much as makes a funny sound,
or God help it, it needs an oil change, I feel like
I curse the time I spend with it "because this car
is supposed to be so damn reliable and so damn
perfect".

  So many of these posting listers are the same, even
if they don't realize it. They'll tell stories of rebuilding
their B engine or tearing down the suspension and so on, but
if they see a Honda stranded by the highway they giggle
and smirk and feel superior.

  Hey, that Honda is probably being driven by somebody
who never lifts the hood, never gets the oil changed, and
makes sure that when something DOES break they bitch at
the guy they pay to fix it to make sure the bare minimum
is done to get it on the road at the lowest possible price.

  Frankly, in five my Toyota has never had a problem that stopped
it from driving. (battery dead excepted) The only repair I
had to do to it that was semi major was to fix a suspension
bushing that had seized from salt and was making an awful
noise.

  I have three MGs, and COMBINED I am not sure if I could
achieve 7 years of continuous uptime without living in the
garage.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca