I want quiet brakes - '70 MGB

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: I want quiet brakes - '70 MGB
From: "Mike Hartwig" <mhartwig@cbu.edu>
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 1998 16:13:16 -0500
I need to replace the front brake pads on my MG.  I plan on applying
anti-seize compound to the backs of the pads to prevent any binding
between pads and pistons, but more importantly I need to choose a good
quality pad.

Does anyone have any asbestos pads NOS?  I realize this is a shot in
the dark, but....

Who makes the best shoes for everyday use?  I don't care about pad
wear or brake dust (I wash car frequently), but they must not squeal
or squeak.  Is the Lucas/Girling/etc. a decent choice, or are there
better??

On another, related subject: my brother is nearing completion with his
'78 MG V8 conversion.  It is one awesome beast.  Going fast is not a
single-ended proposition, so braking is now a concern.  I know a
fellow who is selling some Porsche 911 calipers and rotors for around
$200.  Can anyone guess about the potential of using the Porsche
calipers and vented rotors on the MGB.  I would imagine braking would
be improved with the larger rotors, and the venting would be good for
fade resistance.  We have 6x15" minilites and really sticky Yokohama
A509 tires mounted, so traction is not a problem.

BTW, his larger sway bar and shortened springs makes the handling of
my '70 MGB seem like a freakin' minivan.  I have a new-found respect
for the rubber bumper Bs now, even though they are butt ugly. :)

My Porsche restoration is coming along nicely.  New pistons and
cylinders will bump my compression up and increase displacement to
2.2L.  It is one nice car for only $2500.

Jay