Tranny question

To: <MGS%AUTOX.TEAM.NET@mvdns1.mv.Unisys.COM>
Subject: Tranny question
From: PHILIPPE TUSLER <TUSLER@mp050.mv.unisys.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 16:37:37 -0800 (PST) (Tue, 27 Oct 1998 00:37 UT)
Since we were going over the rebuilding of trannys...
Since shortly after I had the tranny in Tintin ('66 MGB-GT) rebuilt,
it sometimes balks at going into second gear.  No grind, it just won't
go in.  Brute force will put it in.  Wiggling it back and forth will
also.  This is most often from a standing start when I try to put it
into second before first (non-synchro).
What could cause this?  In my mind, I see an asymetrical ball-spring.
I sometimes also feel a little *pop* vibration in the shifter a moment
after taking it out of third.  Almost as though that asymetrical ball-
spring just popped out of where it was jammed.
Twice I've had the tranny rebuilt by others, badly.  Next time I will
do it myself and have only myself to blame, but at least I'll be able
to afford the beer to drown my sorrows.

*Philippe Tusler - Mission Viejo, CA     | "MILOU"    '57 MGA Roadster *
*                                        | "TINTIN"   '66 MG/MGB-GT    *
*InterNet: Philippe.Tusler@Unisys.Com    |  N/A       '88 ISUZU Trooper*