Smog Gear

Subject: Smog Gear
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Wed, 11 Nov 1998 16:04:32 +1000
Hi all,

As some of you know I have a 1970 BGT ex USA - California to be exact that
I'm preparing for the track.

My 1970 Engine is a J spec so it *had* the air pump and the air injection
manifold. My mechanic years ago ditched these (as I live in Australia and my
1970 car does not require them) by eliminating the air pump and plugging the
holes in the head (and the one in the intake manifold). But I still have the
Crankcase/Caburettor ventilation system and the Absorbtion cannister
(Evaporative loss control) still in place. I realise that there is a line to
it from the Fuel Tank to a Vapor Separator installed in the three qtr panel
(sorry if thats not the right name) inside the GT's trunk.

I realise I will need to fit the older style 'breathing' Oil filler cap when
this is done to allow ventilation, but can I safely remove the Vapor
Separator (block it off at the tank??) and the absorbtion cannister? Should
I plug the constrictor on the Rocker cover and the one on the crankcase
(what can I use to plug these constrictors?) which goes to the absorbtion
cannister and fit say an older style, open tube type valve tappet cover  (I
hope I've read this right!) ?

Am I lost? <G> Confused? I am. The 1970 model appears to be the most weird
of emission systems with the least documentation. I have all the Haynes,
Bentley books etc but would like some advice from someone who's actually
performed this operation.

I'm intending to replace the Carbs and std Intake manifold with a pair of
HS6's for racing so I'd like to ditch all these emission goodies before
hand. I also like learning what these items do before I just disassemble
them. Quite interesting stuff. :)

Thanks,
Neil.
--