Re: Headlight & horn relays?

To: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>, "MG List" <Mgs@Autox.Team.Net>,
Subject: Re: Headlight & horn relays?
From: "Scott McKorkle" <bmc@aa.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Nov 1998 09:09:15 -0800
Okay.  Here is my attempt at wiring in a horn relay.  I did this a couple
months ago using instructions borrowed from the bulletin board at the MG
Cars Enthusiasts' Club site, who got it from Moss Motoring.  Words first, a
crude drawing to follow:

On later B's, the horn push makes the horn blow by completing the ground
circuit on a two-wire horn.  To install the relay:
1) Cut the purple/black (PB) horn ground wire from the fatter loom (make
sure you do this between the horn push and the first horn, not between the
two horns).
2) Get a spare MG ignition relay (or similar relay purchased from an auto
parts store) and attach the horn push side of this wire (the loom side) to
terminal W2 on the starter relay.
3) Take the other end of this wire (the horn side) and attach it to
terminal C1 on the relay.
4) Then run a wire from an positive wire (or the battery) to terminal W1 on
the relay.
5) Take a new wire and ground it under the hood somewhere.  Run the other
end of this wire to terminal C2 on the relay.

When you now depress the horn button, you ground the relay, which closes
the negative side of the horns.

Drawing:

                                                |   C2 (87)
         W1 (85)                  o
      __|___________          |
     |    \                   |         /
     |     \                  |====/

           W2 (86)

My apologies if the drawing doesn't come out right.  Please use your editor
to try to get it into a format that resembles the drawing on the relay
cover.

Good luck!
Scott
1978 MGB