URGENT! fellow 'B stuck in PA

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: URGENT! fellow 'B stuck in PA
From: Josef Kurtz <kurtz@helix.mgh.harvard.edu>
Date: Tue, 24 Nov 1998 22:16:35 -0500 (EST)
greetings all.  i am writing on behalf of matt gaetke, who was (i
emphasize was) driving home for teh holiday from Boston to Kentucky.  He
called me tonight with this story.  He is going to call me tomorrow
morning with any suggestions you all might have.  So all of you night
owls, here's your chance to shine...

Pulled over to get new batteries for his tape deck, which serves as his
radio.  car is running fine, but oil may be a little low (35 lbs) while
running.  hadn't gone past 3500 rpms during the drive.

gets batteries, comes back to car.  tries to start.  engine starts to
turnover, but then gets a big "clunk".  tries to restart, and only gets
one solid click.  nothing else.  so he pops the hood, nothing looks weird.
car was not running hot.  pulls the plugs, puts it into third, and was NOT
able to push the car and get the engine to turn.  the car will only rock
1/2 inch forward or back.  can be poushed in neutral.  when in gear, he
can see the engine torque.

waits a bit.  in desperation, tries repeated starts.  engine finally turns
over, but he can hear grinding, and the engine will only run if he keeps
his foot on the gas.

so, is it possible that the starter has somehow become lodged in the
engine and is causing the problem?  he is staying at a best western
tonight, and will be calling me at 7am for any suggestions.  what should
be do?

thanks ahead to any help, and he will owe us all a pint if we can get him
home, sans towing.

joe

Josef Kurtz
                                        jkurtz@alum.mit.edu
PhD Candidate in 200?                   kurtz@helix.mgh.harvard.edu
Program in Immunology                   1979 MGB:  Nikki
Harvard Medical School                  "Safety Fast!"