Re: Heater Fan (was: SUV's & Crash Worthyness)

To: H4aardvrk@aol.com
Subject: Re: Heater Fan (was: SUV's & Crash Worthyness)
From: Skye Poier <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 13:39:49 -0800
Word on the street is that H4aardvrk@aol.com said:
> << Me, I'll stick to my MGB with its upgraded heater, factory hardtop, good
>  tires and low center of gravity.  Wonder how many 4wd's I'll have to go >>
> Norm,
>      I too run my stable of 4 MG-B's all year round...I have the hard top on
> one of them,but i am real interested in your UPGRADED heater..It gets real
> cold here in northern colorado and that upgrade on the heater caught my
> eye...so what did you do to boost the preformance of the normally absimal unit
> fitted to the B???inquireing"cool"minds want to know..:-)..

I just fixed my heater last night, the fan is directional - that is, hooking
up the wires one way will blow a lot more air than the other.  Also I
disassembled the motor and cleaned it thoroughly and smeared some grease
on the moving bits.

I have also heard that fitting a relay for the heater will increase its
output a lot, as will running heavier gauge wire to the switch and then
to the motor, although I don't feel as good about that option as I don't
know what kind of current the switch is rated for.

Toasty,
Skye

--
1966 MGB               GHN3L-70307                __,__\__      Finger for
The MGB Experience     http://www.mgb.bc.ca/     (_o____o_)     PGP key