Update on my motor

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Update on my motor
From: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Wed, 09 Dec 1998 23:18:50 -0800
Hi all,

Just to keep y'all up to date.

Firstly thanks very much to everyone who's been helping me with my motor
problem - in no particular order - Gary, Barney, Trevor, Art, Harlan,
Denise, Mike, Bob, Howard and more - sorry if I forgot anyone this is
off the top of my head!! :)

Well the general consensus is the crankshaft needs to be reground. I
removed all the pistons and I certainly can see the difference between a
good journal and a bad journal and a good rod and a bad rod!! I will
shoot a pic of a good ones for the web page in the future. The damaged
rod is toast, it can't be reused. Even I can see this now I know what a
good one is. There used to be a radius before the bearing surface on a
good rod, the bad rod has actually been worn so much that there is
hardly any radius left..! I hope the crank is salvageable..

I'm going to document the rebuild process for any other newbies out
there. Hopefully everything will work out ok - suprisingly it's not too
hard to do this type of work yourself - I know there's a lot of
experienced people out there but I'd like to think there are a lot of
quiet ones out there too who can use my experience to benefit them in
the future so thats why I'm taking so many photos etc. I've also removed
all the ancilliary equipment from the car, in readiness to remove the
motor. I haven't been able to take a look at the mains yet because I
can't for the life of me move those blasted nuts from under the car. I'm
going to try again tomorrow with some more leverage but I might have to
try that out of the car.

I'm also going to start building the motor for racing starting now. I'm
not bothering about the registration. In fact I'll be concentrating on
fixing the A so that can get re-registered. I haven't even looked at
that yet so I hope the damage there isn't too bad. Head has to come off.

Once again thank you everyone for your help. Wouldn't have attempted
this job 'by myself'! :) The Internet really is marvellous! :)

Cheers,
Neil.