Re: How to test a condenser

To: "Barney Gaylord" <barneymg@ntsource.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: How to test a condenser
From: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argolink.net>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 05:24:22 -0600
Barney,
   The real way to check it is with a capacitance meter, which will usually
tell you the capacitance at 1 K hertz, and maybe at a higher frequency.  You
can do a check with an ohmmeter to tell if its totally caput or not.
Measure the resistance of the condenser with the ohmmeter ( wait for a
steady reading..), this will charge the condenser up to the voltage of the
source being used to check the resistance in the meter.  Then reverse the
leads and check it again.  What should happen it its not total zapped
 technical term) is the resistance should read initially real low, then
creep up to the previous reading.  This is caused by the condenser
discharging through the meter then building up to the voltage in the
opposite polarity.  It doesn't tell you much about what the capacitance is,
but give and indication that it's doing something right.
   One caveat,  this test works better with the old fashioned analog meter
because its easy to see the needle swing.  The digitals tend to be harder to
see because of the sampling rate of the meter when taking a reading.
Harlan.