MGB 78 wow's

To: "MGs digest" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: MGB 78 wow's
From: "n" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Sun, 1 Nov 1998 17:22:16 -0500
Eric:

Don't despair.  Your B can be saved.  Do it step-by-step though.

First, put back or get the original carb & manifolds.  Add the cat to the
package.  Install all of the other emissions plumbing.  But, forget about
the air pump & rail for now.  I had an '80 B here in Connecticut thus
equipped that got through our near-California-level test ok.

The stock carb is relatively tunable for emissions.  But it results in poor
performance.  Here's the drill:
I would make an appointment with my mechanic for first thing Saturday
morning.  He would put the car on his exhaust analyser and adjust the timing
& carb for low co & hc's.  I'd drive (barely) to the test station.  Try to
keep the car as cool as possible (The colder to day the better.).  After
passing, I'd go back to Mechanic Bob & have him adjust carb & timing for
performance & drivability.

And, in 5 years my B only failed once.  And, that was because I didn't have
one of two cooling fans operating.  And, didn't follow my own advice.

My ultimate solution to this annual ritual was that I sold the '80 & bought
a '66.  No more testing.

An additional benefit to having the cat is that I no longer needed the
center muffler for reasonable exhaust sound.  With the cat & an ANSA rear
muffler, it purred nicely.  Not loud, just mellow.

Norm Sippel
'66 MGB