Re: Quality (was: Re: Lowering)

To: mhartwig@cbu.edu, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Quality (was: Re: Lowering)
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 13:27:40 EST
I used to run a parts house so let me take a stab here.  Unfortunately in
America, at least, the focus of most mechanics has gone from fixing cars to
making money.  I used to get call from shops asking how much a clutch was for
an MGB.  They would want all the prices separate.  He would then hang up and
about 30 minutes later call up and order the cover and T/O from me.  What
about the disk you ask?  He got that from the "Other Guy" because it was $1.00
less!  Now don't tell me that he wasted far more than $1 in time making phone
calls, I know that.  However, the companies that make and import auto parts
want more market share, so they want lower prices.  There are only two ways to
lower prices, one is to make more of a particular item and get economy of
scale (ain't going to happen, the number of MG's on the road is going down not
up), and two build a lower quality part that cost less to make.  Face it, we,
the people that really want quality, are in the minority.
As far as the Porsche parts having better quality, well, you know the old joke
about the difference between Porsches and porcupines?  Porsche owners and
mechanics won't stand for anything less then factory quality.  The people that
make P parts know this and jack up their prices accordingly.
$.02
Rick Ewald
67 MGB roadster
99 Volvo S 80 T-6