Re: Quality

To: barneymg@ntsource.com, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Quality
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 1999 23:07:02 EST
My point exactly, if Moss paid $20 for their cushion (a fair assumption, maybe
not exactly right, but fair) Then VB may have paid $? 18? 15? 10?  Yet the
part sells for the same.  This is just a further extension of what I spoke of
in my post.  Do you think that that guy that sourced the parts of the MG
clutch from two or three different parts houses passed along the savings to
the retail customer?  If you believe that I have some nice ocean front real
estate for sale in Colorado.  <G>
I know of a case in the eighties where a supplier superseded (in their
catalog) 150 different GM EGR valves to, are you ready for this, 12 part
numbers.  That's right 150 to TWELVE.  Now I know that some of those
applications caused drivability problems for the car owners.  Yet the owners
paid market price for their less than OE parts.  Meanwhile, the shop that sold
these less than wonderful parts made a greater than average markup, and the
company made a bundle because they saved a ton on manufacturing, and
warehousing.
My point in all of this is that if you find a shop and or supplier that
supplies quality, hang on to them, and give them your business.  You can
always find someone who has cr@#$% for less money.
IMHO suppliers ought to identify OE Vs after-market part in their catalogs.

None of the above should be interpreted as a slam against VB.  I have done
business with them and have been satisfied.  I was only using Barney's
example.
$.02
Rick Ewald
67 MGB roadster