Re: Pistons ? CR? years?

To: "Paul Tegler " <wizardz@amdyne.net>
Subject: Re: Pistons ? CR? years?
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Wed, 13 Jan 1999 14:37:00 +1000
Paul,

>>>QUESTION: Which go in what year engine?

As far as I know there's only been two 'types' but differing designs. High
Compression Pistons and Low Compression pistons. One gives a GCR of 8.0.1 in
a 18G* motor and the other gives a GCR of 8.8.1 in a 18G* motor. The
combustion chamber sizes are different between 18G* and 18V motors so there
is a slightly higher GCR for 18V's.

If someone can enlighten me also, was there different piston designs besides
the 6.25cc HC dish and the 12.5cc LC dish? I wasn't aware of valve
depressions in the piston head of std MGB pistons. I realise there is a
block cutout on 18V motors to clear the exhaust valve but I haven't heard of
piston modifications.

Cheers,
Neil.
--