Re: Carb plumbing (HS4s)

To: "ccrobins" <ccrobins@ktc.com>, "Erik Brzoska" <mowog77@hotmail.com>
Subject: Re: Carb plumbing (HS4s)
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 1999 10:14:54 +1000
Charley,

>came into the front carb and was connected to the rear carb by the other
>fitting.  Beats me.  Anyone have a '70 B with all the smog equipment?

On the front carb of a 70's B there is three connections on the float bowl
and two on the rear float bowl, of which I described in an earlier message.
There is also another copper tube intake, similar but larger diameter, built
into the body of the carb itself, at around a 45 degree angle, on both
carbs. This is where the fumes from the side/tappet cover exit to, into the
carb body. The canister on a 70B takes in clean air, this enters the
restrictor on top of the rocker cover - sealed oil filler cap - and
eventually exits out the side cover back into the carbs. There is a solid
pipe from the side cover, a short length of rubber hose connects to this
where it is then split by a Y type fitting into two seperate, smaller rubber
hoses. Each one of these goes off to the intake on the carb body. I *think*
these two air hoses are 3/4" thick and the fuel lines are 1/2".

This is an Emmision systems - Caburettor Crankcase Ventilation (Carburettor
Control System) & Evaporative Loss Control (canister/vapor
seperator/overflow pipe etc). Motor is an 18GJ with CCV, ELC & EEC. As far
I'm aware, having this system in place (CCV, ELC) does not affect
performance. Unlike the air injector system (EEC) which accompanies this
setup - which I've removed.

At least, this is how it is all set up on my 70 BGT and it's an American
model.

Cheers,
Neil.