Another update, 1 question

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Another update, 1 question
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Sat, 30 Jan 1999 12:09:04 +1000
Hiya,

Just a quick update. Got the motor up on a stand for disassembly last night.
Removed all the timing gear, camshaft, crankshaft etc. When I finally
managed to pull the oil pump (wowee was that stuck fast! - I won't tell ya
how I removed the mains caps at the front and end of the block - you'll be
horrified! <G>) I found so much gooped up bearing material it wasn't funny.
*gulp* Am I ever glad I decided to strip this instead of flushing it! Thanks
guys! :) All I have left to do is remove the mains studs, drill out the
plugged oilways (BTW John Twist has a great article on B rebuilds at:
http://www.universitymotorsltd.com ) and remove the Welch (Freeze) plugs. I
had a little trouble removed the distributor drive until I realised I had
forgot to remove the plate from the ouside of the block! <G> Had two hours
sleep the night before - deadlines.

A couple of observations, the machine shop I'll be taking the stuff to says
I *must* have the Cam bearings removed before going into the hot tank, I'm
not sure if this is a way of securing my business <G> for both the cleaning
and machining process but what the heck. Anyone?  Can I do this without the
special tool shown in the Service Manual? Another thing I found, there is a
3/4" bolt just below the oil cooler outlet on the back of the block. I took
this off and found so much thick, carbon-ish like gunk in there. Is this the
end of the waterway or something? I couldn't clear it all out, hope the hot
tank will.

Lastly, Woodruff keys (what a name!) - How on earth do they come out? <G>
Mine seem to be stuck fast. My motor is an 18GJ - Californian version of a
GH.

Cheers,
Neil.