Re: Not such a stupid oil change question

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Not such a stupid oil change question
From: don <brgmgb@napanet.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 23:41:23 -0800 (PST)
To clarify, if the filter is inverted, then the best you can do is to have
the filter completely soaked with oil.  This may take several fillings to
accomplish.  If the filter mounts horizontally, you can have it soaked, plus
have a bit of oil in the canister.  If it is upright, then it is best to
have it soaked and full.

Don Scott

><< It makes perfect sense to fill the canister with oil when changing oil.
>You
> gain a few seconds of oil pressure that you would not otherwise have.  It's
> similar to the principal of a pre-oiler.  It helps to save your engine from
> unnecessary wear.
>
> Don Scott>>
>
>So what we have here is another lister who can't read.  There is NO mention
>of whether the filter is a 'hanger' or 'inverted'; no mention of WHAT filter
>is being used; if it has an ant-drain valve; and/or how to maintain the oil
>(added) level in the filter after it is screwed on to a '67 MGB with maybe/
>might be a correct motor.
>
>That said, the basic idea that Don mentions is not without merit (IMHO, of
>course!)
>

> At 06:10 PM 2/13/99 EST, you wrote:
>>Joseph,
>>I Personally don't know any professional automotive technicians that pre fill
>oil filters. <
>
>Me neither.
>
> >Furthermore, I know of no car maker that recommends this procedure.<
>
>NEVER heard of it.
>
> >So as long as the bubbles are air, and you did not overfill the crankcase
>you are good to go.<
>
>Prob'ly ought to add:  YMVY, IMO. IMHO, or CYA, Don.
>
>>Rick Ewald
>>67 MGB<
>
>>In a message dated 2/13/99 12:13:52 PM Pacific Standard Time,
>>jmc987@earthlink.net writes:
>>
>>> This morning, while changing the oil, I forgot to fill the new (spin on)
>>>  filter before I screwed it to the block. I didn't realize my error until
>>>  after I filled the crankcase. So, as usual, I removed the plugs and spun
>>>  the engine on the starter until there was oil pressure. I replaced the
>>>  plugs, started the engine and took the car for a spin around the block.
>>>  Afterward, when I pulled the dip stick to check the oil level, I saw all
>>>  sorts of tiny bubbles (almost like a foam) in the oil on the stick. I
>>>  guess that's what happened to the air that was trapped inside the filter.
>>>  This isn't a problem, is it?  I assume that over time all the air will
>>>  find its way out. Am I correct?  See I said it was a stupid question.
>>>  Thanks in advance. >>
> >>  Joseph
> >>  67 B Roadster
>  >>

>Cheers...........
>
>           ED

RetroMobilia w/ original advertising artwork featuring:
    Riley 1.5, '62 Buick, '91 Miata Special Edition, & MG TF, & 215 V8
Check it out:
    http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Track/2508/