FS - Helping a cousin

To: "Alfa Digest" <alfa-digest@digest.net>, "MGs digest" <mgs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: FS - Helping a cousin
From: "n" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 01:57:18 -0500
Any Listers know of a List for Mercedes-Benz or Etceterini?

A cousin recently lost her car collector husband of many years.  I offered
to help her evaluate 2 cars that she has from his years of buying & trading.
(He had some interesting stuff.  Just learned one of them was an Allard.)

Yesterday, I looked at, in & under a '56 Facel Vega & '52 M-B 300 Sedan.
While the F-V would make a great tow car for me with its huge Chrysler hemi
engine.  I'm afraid the work involved in getting & keeping it running would
be more than I will be spending on the MGB street/race car or Alfa race car
it would be towing.

The 300 on the other hand, doesn't have the raw power.  But, has enough room
for lots of spare parts, tools, etc.  However, it deserves better than that
kind of duty.

FYI, here's the skinny on both cars:
    Mercedes - 1952, model 300 sedan (Adenauer?) 186 011, Ser. #02904/52.
97,000 some odd miles.  Paint is old, poor condition cream-color with some
flaking on trunk (c. 2" x 8" section) and under hood (1" sq.).  Original
radio; interior dirty, but unworn and unripped leather.  No rust-through
anywhere.  Light pitting on chrome.  Everything there including owners
manual, except for radiator cap with star.  Was running when parked in the
garage in 1975.  A real head-turner with minimal effort to detail & get
running.
    Facel-Vega - 1956, model FV2B, Ser. # 56124.  One of about 120 made
(#124??  My reference books state 118 made.)  Bought because a short circuit
in wires had knocked it out of commission.  Parked many years.  Shows 17,500
miles.  Covered with many year's accumulation of dust both inside & out.
Both front electric windows down.  Dashboard partly dismantled for access to
wiring.  Push-button Torquefilte transmission behind HUGE Chrysler Hemi V-8.
Missing: hubcaps.  Aircleaners may be missing.  I did find a pair of
humungous filters in the garage with the M-B that look like they could fit
the twin carbs of the F-V.  Engine compartment not originally filled with
Hemi is now filled with mouse-house.  Color: red exterior, black leather
uph.  Paint peeling in a few places.  Either original paint or primer was
cream/yellow.

Based on others that are on the market now, and Sports Car Market's
valuation, asking $10,000 for each.

I'd like to post these cars to appropriate lists rather than expose them to
general lists like Autotrader, Special Car, etc  So, your help will be
appreciated.

Norm Sippel
"66 MGB street/race
'61 Alfa SV
'73 BMW 3.0CS
too many cars, not enough room for any more despite the temptation.