Re: Moss Chrome

To: cattias@cats.ucsc.edu
Subject: Re: Moss Chrome
From: Randell S Kegg <rkegg@juno.com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 17:43:29 EST
I just received some information from Moss International, and if I read
it correctly, they are no longer owned by Moss of California. Can anyone
confirm? I can tell you that I have ordered parts from across the pond
and generally the quality is significantly better than Moss USA. It
really is a shame, as Moss USA service is first rate, but I get so
frustrated with them. Let me tell you a story.........
        I was in England last summer and attended MG'98 at Duxford. I ran
into Chris Nolan, who identified himself as head of product research, (or
something similar), for Moss USA. We started to talk and I relayed one of
several instances that I have had with poor parts quality. ( I had
ordered a spare tire cover for my MGA from Moss. What I received was
carpet stiched together to form a tire cover. Attractive, Yes, but far
from original. The original is a grey vinyl backed by horsehair like
padding. I sent it back and bought a very nice and correct reproduction
from Scarborough Faire.)  I told Chris this story, and how dissapointed I
was. He was puzzled. He seemed unaware of what SF was selling, and
unaware that anybody out there was selling parts better than  Moss.  I
think that the problem is that Moss feels like they have no competition
and that we will buy whatever they make, no matter how bad it is, because
we have no choice.
        I won't bore you with all of my "crappy parts from Moss" stories,
but I have several. I would like nothing better than for them to improve,
but until they do, I severely limit what I buy from them.

Randy Kegg