Re:POR-15

To: "'MG submission'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:POR-15
From: "Cordell, Ralph Ph.D." <rzc4@cdc.gov>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 10:14:44 -0500
Has anyone ever used POR-15 before?  I'm curious to hear what you did and
how it went.

Thanks
Todd
'69 MGC

I've used POR-15 on the splash panels, gas tank and frame of my 59 MGA and
on the wheel wells and underside of my '84 Turbo Regal.  I also basecoated
the gas tank of my Regal and few places on my MGA with it and then sprayed
an overcoat.  The Regal is still up on blocks pending paying off some of the
bills from restoring the MG.  I was poking around under it last night and
noticed some places where I either missed or the paint had flaked.  It seems
to be holding up well on the MG.  I think it will stick great to rusty metal
with something to bite - grease, oil or other undercoating seems to cause it
problems as will highly polished metal.  It did okay as an basecoat (I
overcoated it when tacky).  I suggest using a cheap brush and rubber gloves.
If you get it on your skin - plan on wearing it for a week of so.  The first
time I used it I didn't wear gloves (figuring I would just take it off with
paint thinner) - no way.  I had a big meeting a few days later and went in
with solid black hands.  About a week later I was in the sauna at the local
health club - it was starting to flake off.  Some guy was staring at my
hands so I started picking away at it, muttering "damned fungus infection"
to myself.  He left.  I've not tried anything else so can't really compare.
It gives a shiny rather than a satin finish.  They make a number of
products.  The undercoating is supposedly UV sensitive but I believe they
have a UV resistant finish as well.  It is a pain to keep - the can locks up
after 2-3 applications so I usually buy a few empty paint cans at my local
hardware store and break it up into smaller batches.  I put a piece of
plastic wrap between the can and the lid after use - that helps a bit.  It
ain't cheap and I'm not sure that it is that much better than Rustoleum.
However, a lot of people swear by it.

Ralph Cordell
rzc4@cdc.gov
Hospital Infections Program