Re: Oil cooling

To: Larry Hoy <larryhoy@cwix.com>
Subject: Re: Oil cooling
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 1999 18:27:58 -0500
Larry-

This is a more realistic answer than that posted earlier, quoting a lady
petrochemical scientist. Her info, probably correct, was undoubtedly
referring to pure oil, that is, without the normal additives  found in
commercial motor oil. I don't think I want to trust a 350` service temp,
however.

I got a second reply from API, but it said even less than the first, so
I did not forward it.

Bill or someone commented that they did not go racing until the oil temp
came up, but did not indicate what the temp was. That would be good
info. Hard running on cold oil may cause as many problems for the short
run driver as overheated oil causes for those of us who drive regularly
for longer runs. This is a consideration regardless of the make of car,
or number of cylinders.

Jim Stuart