Smoking

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Smoking
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 00:37:35 +0509
OK, seeing as I am in semi-denial (notice I haven't come back raving
about my 'long drive') I need some suitable alternatives to what one may
first think of if there car exhibits the following symptons...

1. Smoke (blue) when accelerating - from take-off especially.
2. Constant James Bond-like cloud when travelling above 60mph for more
than ten minutes.

By the way, recent compression test showed: 1=150 2=150 3=100 4=150

I have removed (and created a suitable alternative for) the PCV valve -
the one that sticks up above the rocker cover - as it was full of oil
and obviously failing.  This made a difference in that she no longer ate
oil faster than fuel but the smoke is still there.

I don't want to think RINGS at this stage, OK!

There was a thought that the mechanic who gave me the head job (!) on my
drive might have done something silly with the valve-stem seals... is
this something to take into account?

Help... I really need to think about buying groceries soon (and dog food
for the mate) rather than pouring all this cash into the little yellow
BITCH!

:-)

Eric
'68MGB MkII