3 Synch

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: 3 Synch
From: WSpohn4@aol.com
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 11:09:29 EST
The difference between the early and late trans is that the early had a
smaller diameter layshaft with 3 bearing sets that had to be built into the
gear between circlips, and the later one was both larger in diameter, and used
4 instead of 3 bearings which are pre-assembled (caged). Stronger and much
easier to work with.
It was the early style that allowed me to make a mechanic chase me when I
showed him a single roller after he had spent 2 hours assembling the trans,
and asked him if it was an extra (I had pulled it out of a parts box).
I was quicker.
There are also two different types of intermediate gears that take different
types of synchro rings (early=brass, late=steel).

Bill

<<I've wandered back in from the digest wilderness bearing questions. Lots
of questions as my restoration nears the finish line.
 Todays questions concern 3 syncro transmissions. Looking at the overhaul
kit offered by Vicky Brit there is a division between 62-66 tranny kits and
66-67 tranny kits. I was not aware that the 3 syncro transmissions
differed. What were those differences? I'm relatively sure that mine is a
67, but who can be sure with a car that had been sitting for years and
shows signs of having been tinkered with before?
 Any suggestions appreciated.>>