MGA stuff

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: MGA stuff
From: "Neil Cotty" <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Sun, 21 Mar 1999 01:09:26 +1000
Hi all, trying to fix my MGA 1600 MK1 and have a couple of questions.

A while back the car overheated when the welch plug at the back of the block
dislodged. Is there a way to replace this plug without removing the motor? I
guess not unless I turn half monkey. <G>

Secondly, the car was very difficult to turn over and would not start after
it overheated. I haven't been able to start it since. With the head removed
the motor is turning over very easily and smoothly so I guess it's not a
ring, piston or something to do with the cylinders. Obviously with no
compression it's going to turn over easier but would any have any
suggestions as to why a car wouldn't start after overheating? Something to
do with the head? Cracked? *gulp* I'm replacing the head gasket as this
departed, but I'm wondering if this would have been the only problem, what
else besides stuffing the head gasket, warping/cracking the head, block etc
could happen? Would those first two issues alone be enough to stop a car
firing? There is no hint of ignition. I will try all the usual stuff when I
get it back together, timing, carburation, spark etc etc just looking for
some ideas.

BTW the B is coming along fine in it's new guise as a club racer, just
waiting on pistons - FYI - JE looks the go, $110 USD for a set of +040 cast
flat tops, seem incredibly cheap - comments +/- ?. Got offered a set of +020
cast org. BMC factory comp. pistons for $580 AUD and a great deal of $460.00
USD for a set of forged pistons from David at Malvernracing.com. Decisions,
Decisions!

Oh yeah, started painting the engine bay components since I can't do
anything until the pistons arrive. Rocker cover looks great, better than
new. Not happy with the black I've been able to find. Can't find a black
thats close to the one originally on the car, not to mention one that sprays
particularly well. I'm spraying everything with an airbrush (!) - old
modelmakers die hard. <G> Pictures will come soon for anyone interested!

'tanks,
Neil.