Re: another B master cylinder question

To: Nina Barton <ninab@scoresheet.com>
Subject: Re: another B master cylinder question
From: Jeff Fayne <fayne@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Apr 1999 12:49:07 -0600

Nina Barton wrote:

> Hi all,
>           Replaced 71 BGT's master cylinder at the end of December/early
> January with a brand spanking new, Lockheed unit.  The brake pedal has been
> squeaking, and when I took off the pedal box to lubricate it, there's
> evidence of brake fluid and signs of leaking down the side of the pedal box
> and where the rubber boot and the master cylinder come together.  There may
> be a good chance I did something wrong, and before I jump to conclusions,
> what should I check to make sure it is not repairer error and possibly a
> faulty master cylinder?  Thanks in advance,  Nina

I'm having the same problem with my new Lockheed A/P M/C. Any chance you
purchased yours from Proper MG? This is the second new  M/C that's been in my
car, both were acquired from them.

The first lasted about a month and Proper MG exchanged it no problem. The
current one has been in the car since last May, just before I took the car off
the road for a total resto. The car's been sitting since then and was just
uncovered last week to resume body work. The front resevoir is completely
empty, the contents are now residing on my new floorpan/firewall :(

I don't know if I can convince Proper MG that I've had two faulty M/Cs,
especially after the length of time it's been in the car, but I'm mad enough to
give it a try. Before I jump to conclusions as well, I used Castrol GT LMA
brake fluid in both M/Cs. Correct right?

Assuming, I can't exchange, anybody recommend another source of new M/Cs
(MOSS?). I'd prefer new to rebuilt, but seeing that the damage has been done, I
may try the rebuilt AutoZone M/Cs that have been mentioned.

Jeff