THE source of all oil problems

To: <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: THE source of all oil problems
From: "MSLishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 1999 00:55:53 -0400
Hello all,
        If you've been following my progress (or digression) of my MGB, you'll
know that many things have jumped up and bit me in the butt in the past
two weeks.  There was that little ignition switch fire, followed by
another round of 200 miles per quart of oil, which was nicely topped
off by my 'freshening up' of my brake system to the tune of almost
$200.  (Not bad, but not good when I only expected to spend $50.)
        Tonight I finished the brake job and wanted to start the car up but
found that cylinders 1 & 3 were not getting fuel.  After some playing,
I found my choke idle screw on carb one to be almost entirely off the
carb!  Some playing and cursing fixed that!
        Anyway, on to the main point of the story.  I found that my timing
cover is leaking oil at a hideous rate.  While the car is running, the
oil heats up and some of it drips onto the X-member, while other drips
are picked up by the crank pulley and atomized all over the radiator.
I'm thinking that this could be the culprit for my lousy oil mileage.
After parking in a clean spot for a few days, I've got an impressive
'line' of oil drips from the crossmember.
        With all good intentions, I'm going to try to fix this problem
tomorrow.  Even if I cut my oil consumption in half, I'll be happy.
Can anyone tell me if I'll be able to replace the seals that are under
the timing cover with the engine in the car?  I'd sure hate to have to
shelf the MGB early because I couldn't afford the oil bills!

Mike Lishego
1974 MGB
1986 Plymouth Turismo 2.2
http://www.mgb.bc.ca/virtualgarage/index.htm